The civil parish of Semington, located in Wiltshire, encompasses a village situated alongside the Semington Brook, which serves as a tributary of the Avon River, flowing in a westward direction. The parish's east and north boundaries are formed by this meandering brook. At some point after 1818, a realignment of the central portion of the northern boundary occurred, aligning it with the course of the Kennet and Avon Canal.Semington is renowned as a village with notable features, including the Semington Locks found along the Kennet and Avon Canal. These locks, known as the Semington Locks, are accompanied nearby by the commencement point of the Wilts and Berks Canal, although the latter is no longer in use. Historically, Semington and Littleton were distinct tithings within the parish of Steeple Ashton, with Semington village positioned approximately 2 1/4 miles north of Steeple Ashton village. In the late 19th century, the civil parish of Semington was established, merging the two tithings. Subsequently, in 1894, the ancient parish of Whaddon was incorporated into Semington. However, in the late 20th century, Whaddon was transferred to Hilperton.During the Second World War, Semington found itself situated on the GHQ Line, which followed the course of the Kennet and Avon Canal. The village was designated as a center of resistance, leading to the construction of extensive anti-tank ditches to the east, south, and west of the village, complemented by several pillboxes overlooking these defenses. These defensive measures formed part of the British anti-invasion preparations. This camera was installed and is maintained by the Environment Agency and can be viewed here
. All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0 The Kennet and Avon Canal traverses the marshy terrain on a raised embankment along the northern periphery of Semington. The construction of the two Semington locks took place between 1794 and 1802 under the supervision of engineer John Rennie. These locks, named Buckley's (numbered 15) and Barrett's (16), facilitate a combined rise/fall of 16 ft 1 in. Adjacent to these locks is the junction where the Wilts & Berks Canal diverged from the Kennet and Avon Canal. Although the Wilts & Berks Canal is presently disused, the Wilts & Berks Canal Trust is actively engaged in its restoration efforts. Continuing eastward from the locks, the canal passes over the Semington Aqueduct, which was constructed in 2004 to facilitate the bypass of Semington village by the A350 road. Another aqueduct allows the canal to cross the Semington Brook. The canal, its towpath, and the surrounding hedgerows offer a favorable habitat for wildlife, with water voles being observed in August 2007.