Many thanks to Mr & Mrs Brooks for facilitating this camera's location. This camera is capitally funded by Hull University.
The Energy and Environment Institute
was established at the University of Hull in late 2016, with the vision to be an internationally leading centre for research that focuses on global sustainability challenges. It brings together leading interdisciplinary academics to tackle global issues surrounding climate change and its consequences on livelihoods. The Institute has three primary goals: to research and discover; to innovate and deliver impact; and to act as a regional anchor and beacon for world leading research and knowledge exchange. Within our “Global change, risk and resilience” theme, Institute staff are deploying a number of sensor arrays that will enable near real-time high frequency monitoring of water quantity and quality in a range of settings, from the urban environment around the University campus (https://www.hull.ac.uk/work-with-us/research/institutes/energy-and-environment-institute/our-work/sudslab-uk
) and the towns of Doncaster, Immingham and Grimsby, to rural environments such as the River Hull catchment and the West Wolds catchment. The monitoring programmes will enable research and teaching in “living laboratories”, and are a pilot for wider initiatives and knowledge exchange with external collaborators. The Farson Digital camera at North Newdbald will be used for real-time flood and drought monitoring, allowing us to visually capture in-channel flood and drought dynamics, complementing the existing Environment Agency gauging network.” In 1823, North Newbald stood as a village and civil parish within the Harthill Wapentake and the Liberty of St Peter's. The civil parish of North Newbald encompassed the hamlet of South Newbald. A tract of land was acquired to generate income, which was then distributed annually on New Year's Day to 20 resident parishioners who had never received parochial relief. The population during that period amounted to 543 individuals, engaged in occupations such as farming, blacksmithing, bricklaying, shopkeeping, and tailoring. The village was also home to the landlords of The Tiger, The New Inn (who was also a butcher), and The Rose & Crown (who was also a corn miller). Additionally, there were fourteen yeomen residing in the village, along with the schoolmaster, who also served as a tax collector. A carrier service operated twice a week between the village and Hull, as well as once a week to Market Weighton and Beverley.The parish church of St. Nicholas, dating back to around 1140, held the distinction of being a Grade I listed building since 1968 and is currently recorded in the National Heritage List for England, maintained by Historic England. Considered by some as the finest Norman church in East Yorkshire, it features a cruciform plan without aisles and a prominent central tower. Its rarity lies in the presence of four Norman doorways. Pevsner, an architectural scholar, describes this church as the most intact Norman church in the East Riding. Notably, the church houses a Coronation Clock installed during the coronation of George V in 1911.During the incumbency of Reverend Jack Walker, a former vicar of Newbald, he meticulously mapped the entire area and produced detailed drawings that suggested the possibility of the village having been walled. However, apart from Reverend Walker's submissions, there is no further substantiated evidence to support this claim.To the east of the village, the Yorkshire Wolds Way National Trail, a long-distance footpath, traverses the region. On the communal village green, one can find the whipping post that was used in the last public flogging carried out in Britain.