The Hillfarrance Brook at Milverton typically exhibits a range between 0.11m and 0.70m. This range has been observed for approximately 90% of the monitoring period. Over the past 12 months, the usual level of the Hillfarrance Brook at Milverton has ranged from 0.10m to 0.30m. These levels have persisted for at least 151 days within the past year. The highest recorded level of the Hillfarrance Brook at Milverton occurred on Sunday, November 25, 2012, at 1:00 am, reaching 1.48m.Situated approximately six kilometers west of Taunton, Somerset, the village of Hillfarrance rests within the floodplain of two watercourses, namely the Hillfarrance Brook and Village Stream. Both watercourses are tributaries of the River Tone and have caused significant distress and disruption to the villagers over the years. The village has experienced severe flooding incidents in 1984, 1985, 1999, and twice during the winter of 2000 when the Brook and Village Stream overflowed their banks. In October and December 2000, more than 30 homes were internally flooded, and the village became isolated due to floodwater.
This camera was installed and is maintained by the Environment Agency and can be viewed here
. All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
The name "Milverton" is believed to have originated from the Old English term for "settlement at the mill ford." Historical evidence from the Domesday Book of 1086 confirms the presence of a mill within the parish. The Town Mills, located on Hillfarrance Brook, were specifically mentioned. The area surrounding the village has also yielded archaeological finds, such as Neolithic flint arrowheads and Bronze Age axe heads discovered during the construction of the bypass in 1975.Before the Norman Conquest, Milverton was granted by Queen Edith of Wessex to Gisa, the Bishop of Wells. However, this grant was later reversed by William the Conqueror. The manor was subsequently united with Torrington in Devon and eventually passed to William Briwere in 1212. Milverton was part of the Milverton Hundred, an administrative division during that time.The Old House, a notable building in Milverton, holds Grade II* listed status and dates back to the late 14th and early 15th century. Originally constructed as a residence for the archdeacon of Taunton, it was also once the home of Thomas Cranmer. During renovations in the early 21st century, a Tudor wall painting featuring Henry VIII was discovered beneath the plaster. This unique find is the only one of its kind in a domestic dwelling and is believed to date back to around 1541. There is speculation that the image may contain a hidden message.In 1708, a fire ravaged the village, resulting in the destruction of 13 properties. Trade in Milverton was predominantly centered around cloth manufacture, and in 1819, Lamech Swift established a silk throwing factory that employed up to 300 women and children. The village was also served by a station on the Devon and Somerset Railway, which ceased operations in 1966.