Midford Brook is a small river located in Somerset. It is formed by the convergence of Wellow Brook and Cam Brook at Midford. The river flows past Tucking Mill and joins the River Avon in close proximity to the Dundas Aqueduct and the remnants of the Somerset Coal Canal. Throughout its entire course, Midford Brook serves as the boundary between Bath & North East Somerset and Wiltshire.
This camera was installed and is maintained by the Environment Agency and can be viewed here
. All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
With a catchment area of 147.4 km2, predominantly consisting of impermeable Lias, Midford Brook exhibits a rapid response to rainfall due to its deep, steep-sided valley. The typical range of water levels at Midford Brook, measured at Midford, spans from 0.50m to 2.90m, encompassing 90% of the recorded observations. Over the past 12 months, the Midford Brook has commonly fluctuated between 0.45m and 2.20m, maintaining these levels for a minimum of 150 days within the year. The highest recorded water level at Midford Brook, specifically at Midford, was 3.61m, occurring on Thursday, July 11, 1968, at 8:00 am.Within the village, situated along the B3110 road, stands the disused viaduct of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. Nearby, one can find the remnants of a smaller viaduct that formerly carried the Somerset Coal Canal and later the Great Western branch line from Limpley Stoke to Hallatrow. Midford railway station, once serving the village on the S&DJR line, operated until 1966. Today, that railway line forms part of the route for NCR 24, known as the Colliers Way. The Bristol and North Somerset Railway's viaduct crosses over Midford Brook, supported by an even taller viaduct belonging to the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. From 1911 to 1915, Midford boasted a second railway station, Midford Halt railway station, along the Limpley Stoke to Camerton railway, which followed the former Somerset Coal Canal. This line connected with a branch from Hallatrow on the former Bristol & North Somerset Railway, forming an end-on junction at Camerton. Although the line was only open to passenger traffic for a total of seven years, from 1910 to 1915 and from 1923 to 1925, Midford Halt station experienced a delayed opening and did not resume operations during the second period.