Many thanks to Homecare for facilitating this camera's location and to The Severn Rivers Trust for capitally funding its installation.
The River Teme, known as Afon Tefeidiad in Welsh, originates in Mid Wales, south of Newtown in Powys. It traverses Knighton, where it crosses the border into England, and continues its course to Ludlow in Shropshire. From there, it flows north of Tenbury Wells on the Shropshire/Worcestershire border before joining the River Severn south of Worcester. The entire length of the River Teme was designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) by English Nature in 1996.The medieval settlement of Ludlow is predominantly situated atop a hill, with the castle, market place, and St. Laurence's parish church located on the flat land at the summit. The highest point on this hilltop, which is approximately 111 meters (364 ft) in elevation, is where the castle stands. The terrain gradually descends towards the east, with an elevation of 107 meters (351 ft) at the Buttercross. Streets lead down towards the Rivers Teme and Corve, which converge northwest of Ludlow's center, flowing to the north and south respectively. As the Teme passes Ludford Bridge, its surface sits at an approximate elevation of 76 meters (249 ft).In the western section of the historic core, the village of Dinham still retains its village-like character, despite being dominated by the castle. A road descends steeply from Castle Square to the Teme, crossing over Dinham Bridge, which replaced an older bridge slightly downstream during the early 19th century. Dinham is also home to an old chapel, a Grade II* listed building that, although no longer used for worship, represents the oldest constructed structure in Ludlow outside the castle. To the east lies a rolling landscape, and it is in this direction that the town has continuously expanded. East Hamlet was the name given to the settlement situated east of the town. This eastward growth, along with expansion to the northeast, continues to the present day, with minimal or no development occurring particularly to the south or west. Consequently, the traditional town center, corresponding to the medieval town, is actually located in the southwest corner of the entire settlement. This growth pattern has also ensured that the village of Ludford, situated just across the Teme at Ludford Bridge (which lies at the foot of Lower Broad Street), remains a distinct community. Some suburban areas of the town include Gallows Bank and Sandpits.The Battle of Ludford Bridge took place in the early years of the Wars of the Roses, occurring on October 12, 1459. The battle resulted in a devastating defeat for the Yorkists. Downstream from the bridge, near Horseshoe, there is evidence that the structure had been constructed by 1241, serving as a power source for the Old Street mill on the Ludlow bank and two mills on the opposite bank in Ludford. A major incident was declared in Shropshire after Storm Dennis battered the county and left Ludlow facing its worst floods in 12 years. To address this concern, a strategically positioned Farson streaming webcam is utilized to provide real-time monitoring of water levels and road conditions in the area.