In 1963, the Environment Agency undertook the construction of a river level measuring station featuring one of the earliest compound crump weirs in Britain . This station was established to monitor and assess the water levels of the river accurately. The typical range of the river level at this station varies between 15 and 70 centimetres, with the highest recorded level reaching 2.43 metres. Notably, during the widespread flooding in 2007, the river level surged to 2.06 metres on July 21st, while a previous flooding event in July 1968 resulted in the complete submergence of the entire structure.This camera was installed and is maintained by the Environment Agency and can be viewed here
All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
Great Somerford, situated in Dauntsey Vale, Wiltshire, is a village and civil parish located near the southern bank of the River Avon. In the 1086 Domesday Book, eight estates were documented in the Somerfords, comprising a total of 80 households. Adjacent to the village's church stands the mound of a motte castle, measuring 40 metres in diameter and believed to originate from the 12th century. South of the mound lies the Mount House, a 16th-century manor house that underwent refronting in the 19th century and is currently designated as a Grade II* listed building.Within the village, remnants of World War II pillboxes can still be found. Three of these structures have survived. The first pillbox is positioned facing the river and the disused railway, while the second one is situated on the edge of a medium-sized field next to the Avon. Although the second pillbox has remained undamaged, it is prone to flooding during heavy rainfall. The third pillbox is located along Dauntsey Road, opposite a small cottage.Regarding transportation, the Malmesbury Branch Line was established across the parish in 1877, branching off from the Great Western Main Line at Dauntsey and crossing the Avon just north of Great Somerford village. Initially, the station at this junction was named Somerford and was situated east of the river crossing . However, in 1903, when the Great Western Railway (GWR) opened a more direct route to South Wales, passing approximately half a mile (900 meters) north of Little Somerford, the station's name was changed to Great Somerford. A new station was constructed near Little Somerford to serve the revised route. In 1922, the goods yard at Great Somerford was closed, leading to the downgrading of the station to Great Somerford Halt. Subsequently, in 1933, Little Somerford station was connected to the Malmesbury branch and became the junction station. The section of the line extending south to Dauntsey, along with the halt, was closed in July of that year.