This camera was installed and is maintained by the Environment Agency and can be viewed here
All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
Frampton Cotterell is a village and parish situated in South Gloucestershire, adjacent to the River Frome. The name "Frampton" signifies "the settlement (farmstead or village) on the Frome." The Domesday Book of 1086 recorded Frampton Cotterell as "Frantone." Similarly, the neighboring villages of Westerleigh, Stoke Gifford, and Winterbourne also bear Old English names, implying that they were either conquered or resettled between the years 577 and 1066.In the early 11th century, Frampton Cotterell may have been part of the Winterbourne manor. A later medieval record refers to "the Lordship of Frampton and Winterbourne," which likely included Stoke Gifford as well. However, these three manors were never under the ownership of the same individual after 1066. The name of a lane in the village, "Harris Barton," also suggests a pre-Norman origin. The term "Barton" is derived from the Anglo-Saxon words "bere" and "tun," meaning "place where grain was stored." This indicates the existence of a farm prior to the Norman conquest.In 1086, Frampton Cotterell was held by Walter the Crossbowman (Balistarius) and was inhabited by 10 villagers and 11 smallholders, resulting in a total population of approximately 100. Additionally, there were slaves and their families present. A church was mentioned in 1086, which indicates that it was established within the past 20 years, likely corresponding to the current St. Peter's Church location. The village also boasted two water mills, possibly situated behind the church (near present-day Mill Lane) and at Cogmill. By 1301, Frampton Cotterell had acquired a third watermill, likely located upstream from the church at "Frampton Lido" (where remnants of a mill were visible until the 1970s), as well as a windmill at Brockeridge, occupying the same site as the current windmill. Furthermore, a coal pit presumably existed at Coalpit Heath, although the name did not appear until around 1680.During the 13th century, the village became known as Frampton Cotell. The term "Cotell" or "Cotterell" originates from the Cotele Family, who were the lords of Frampton Manor in the 12th and early 13th centuries. It is important to note that their manor house was not situated at the present-day Frampton Court but likely positioned behind the church on the eastern side of Mill Lane. Field names such as "Hall Marsh" and "Hall Marsh Mead" survived until the 19th century in this vicinity.